7 Signs You Need Your Brakes Replaced
Here’s what you need to know when it comes time to replace your brakes. Read below for more!
“If you experience a noise related to braking, a burning smell when driving, or a difference in your braking performance, schedule a brake check immediately at your local repair shop.”
Knowing the signs that indicate that you need your brakes replaced is important for any car driver. Not only does it help keep you and others safe, but by being aware of the signs, you can keep ahead of any possible car issues, ensuring a smooth and secure ride.
Whether you’re driving through West Valley, Orem, or Murray City, you’ll want to know the signs you need your brakes replaced. We talked to our experts at Volkswagen SouthTowne, and have come up with a list of key signs that it’s time to take your car in for a visit to our service station.
Signs Your Brakes Need To Be Replaced
- Strange Noises: It’s usually the first sign that something is off with your brakes. Usually, this will sound like a squeaking or squealing noise when you apply the brakes of your car. If you hear this consistently, it’s a strong sign that your brakes need some attention.
- Pulling: You’re in charge of your car, not the other way around. But if it feels like your vehicle is trying to make a sharp right or left turn when you apply the brakes, it’s safe to say something’s not quite right. Usually draining and replacing the fluid or making a brake adjustment will set your car back on track.
- Brake Light On: If you’ve definitely disengaged the parking brake but the light is still on, don’t ignore it. It could be a sign that your brakes need servicing, or that there is some sort of mechanical error. Schedule a service appointment to ensure everything is working as it should be.
- Shaking Steering Wheel: Does it feel like your steering wheel is trying to vibrate out of your hands sometimes? This is a strong hint that your brakes are in need of a check-up. An uneven rotor could be the culprit—and a trained technician can get that fixed fast.
- Unresponsive Brakes: If you have to step harder on the brakes to get a response, or it seems like it’s taking longer for you to slow down, it’s absolutely time to head to your local service center and get your car checked out. This could be a sign that there’s a leak in the braking system, and that’s something you want dealt with sooner rather than later.
- Leaking Fluid: Do you notice a small puddle under your car after it’s been parked for a while? It may look like motor oil, but look closer. If the puddle appears while you’ve been picking up on some strange brake behavior (see our other signs), it’s very possible that you’re leaking brake fluid. Let a trained service technician assess the problem so you know how best to proceed.
- Burning Smell: If you are driving on steep roads and are doing repeated hard braking and notice a sharp, chemical odor, this is a clear sign of overheated brakes or clutch. If this occurs, pull over immediately and allow your vehicle to cool down. If you fail to do so, you risk heating up the brake fluid to boiling, which can cause failure while driving.
Getting Your Brakes Replaced
Think it’s time for your car to get a tune-up? Have questions about the status of your brakes? We’re here to help! Whether you’re in Murray City, West Valley, or Orem, our dealership is ready to provide you with the quality care you deserve.
Head on over to Volkswagen SouthTowne and speak with someone from our service center, or you can go ahead and schedule your brake repair online. Our experts will help you ensure your brakes (and the rest of your vehicle) is in great shape.